EH Player Pathway
- Development Centres – provide a local entry point to the player pathway for U13s – U17s
- Academy Centres – delivered in 49 counties, provide a high-quality talent programme for identified players in U13 – U17 age groups
- Performance Centres – are based across the country providing frequent, high-quality training with the best coaches for U15 and U17 players
- Futures Cup – supports player development within a high-intensity and pressurised best v best tournament environment
- Advanced Apprenticeship in Sporting Excellence (AASE) – the programme provides additional training and sport-related education for U17 players selected from Performance Centres
- National Age Group Squads (NAGS) – are selected at U16 and U18 age groups for girls and boys. NAGS provides the first taste of international competition for our young players
- U21/Development Programme – is an elite training environment for players who aim to transition into the senior programme and become world-leading players
Holcombe Hockey Club hosts both a Development Centre and Academy Centre. A Development Centre is the first rung on the route to England, a chance to be seen by approved EH qualified coaches, followed by assessment and progression. In addition, these are simply additional playing/coaching sessions, focussing on delivering to three core areas:
- Players who already play for clubs and schools regularly but just want to get more hockey and will happily play with a mixed ability group
- Players who play at a club, but whose school does not play, so would like the chance to get additional training.
- Players who are not currently attached to a club (for various reasons including playing other sports, clashes with timetables, or simply that they have never tried the sport)
These sessions will now be used as a fun way of children getting more good hockey coaching, focusing on the “Golden Thread” approach (see here for more information) – one key output will be to get those children currently not members of a hockey club to join their “local” club, but this is not a mandatory requirement for further progression within the Player Pathway.
For more information on the Player Pathway within Kent please contact Marcus Davies and Craig Snell (Directors of Junior Hockey) or Brian Field (Chairman), or for more information on the national perspective please take a look at the England Hockey website.
Holcombe Hockey Club is a Medway-based hockey club with 2 pitches & a clubhouse with excellent facilities. We have 5 women’s & 10 men’s teams, with a vast junior section.
Kent ME1 2XQ